SC - alcohol revisited

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 7 13:19:52 PST 2001

Balthazar of Blackmoor wrote:
>Wow!  With so many allergic people on this list, and
>now such talk of inadequate cooking and poor food
>handling, it's a wonder to me that anyone actually
>GOES to these feasts!  Does everyone bring their own
>take-out, and just use the feast hall as a warm place
>to wait until the bus gets there??  Sheesh!

Well, if the allergies are not severe - and most allergies are not
life-threatening - the folks can just avoid the food they wish to
without much difficulty at a feast.

I have a few allergies - mostly to air-borne tree pollens - the only
food allergy i know of is to some kind (but not all kinds) of fake
vanilla flavoring and i have a sensitivity to under ripe fresh
pineapple (which is noticeable in the US, but didn't affect me in
Indonesia where the fruit was actually picked ripe). These don't seem
like problems i'll encounter at SCA feasts :-)

However, under cooked whole chickens seem to be a recurrent SCA feast
problem. I made sure that we were careful at my feast - no meat on
wooden cutting boards, people doing meat handling wore rubber gloves,
and the sausages and chickens were very carefully cooked and watched
over and checked to make sure they were really cooked through.

You know, most cases of diarrhea are due to poor food handling not
"stomach flu", and many of these cases occur in home kitchens.
Fortunately, for the most part, the human organism is pretty tough.
If we were as fragile as some folks seem to fear, we wouldn't have
survived this long. This is not to defend inadequate cooking and poor
food handling, however.

When i was a kid, my mom had a friend who used to talk about how her
kids seemed to have diarrhea all the time. My mother pointed out that
this woman made hamburger patties out of meat that she left out of
the fridge for hours - and left the patties out for an age before
cooking them. Of course, this woman denied that this could possibly
have been the problem...

Anahita