SC - alcohol revisited

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 8 15:54:13 PST 2001

Ted Eisenstein wrote:

> >Olwen the Odd wrote:
> >>
> >> The funny(?) thing about rare chickens (and other things) is that most of
> >> the cooks have one of those handy instant temp thermometers that they pop
> >> right into the bird.
> Thermometers? for chickens? Whatever happened to the move-the-leg-and-if-it's
> -loose-then-it's-almost-done trick? Or the prick-the-breast-and-if-the-juices-run-clear-
> it's-done test?
>
> sheesh! All these new cooks running around, and no-one passes along the tricks
> of the trade!
>
> <grin>
>
> Alban

Very simple. In our litigious society, sometimes the old tricks of the
trade aren't enough, and, as with many another very sensible timesaver,
they aren't always absolutely accurate. If one is cooking a single bird
for oneself, this is less of a problem. Besides, you don't think an
instant-read thermometer is just for testing the doneness of meat, do you?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com