SC - Period finger foods

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Feb 13 13:42:15 PST 2001

david friedman wrote:

> At 9:41 AM -0500 2/13/01, AlviraMacD at aol.com wrote:
>
> > Well, I know that there will be a cooler of roasts, sliced and
> > rolled.  I
> > cooked them with a marinade of 1 part vinegar to two parts cherry
> > juice.  The
> > sauce will be available for dipping.  It is my non alcoholic
> > adaptation of
> > Swallenberg sauce <sp>.
>
> Which period cookbook is that one from?
>
> There are couple of rolled meat period recipes that I know, but I
> think they all involve slicing and rolling and then cooking. One of
> them is "The Flesh of Veal" in Platina (and the Miscellany)

I suspect that the slicing and rolling are more of a service expedient
for foods that may otherwise be based upon period recipes, perhaps with
varying degrees of faithfulness. It would be kind of like asking where
it says in a period recipe to shape the tart of spinach into a wedge
shape, like an arc sector of a circle, and how do you keep the filling
from falling out the sides during baking. But then, you knew that, eh?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com