SC - RE: sca-cooks V1 #2975 first public translation

grasse grasse at mscd.edu
Wed Feb 14 08:52:17 PST 2001

Greetings Kateryn

A very nice first effort.
If I may try to help on a couple of things.  Fo:erdertheil is one of those
nice combined words meaning literally  Fo:erder or vorder being Front and
theil or teil being Part.  so they want the front end (not the haunches) of
the rabit.

The other obvious error I see is the translation of Schweisz.. yes, in modern
German it is sweat, but in 16th century German it referred to blood, so you
are cooking the apples, onions and some bread in blood, then straining the
blood.
Later in the recipe you are sweating the onions in pork fat, then putting them
in with the blood to simmer - your only clue will be that the noun Schweisz is
capitalized and the verb schweisz (to sweat) is not.

Driet I think is small crubmly bits of un identified stuff (Thomas, please
remind me)... I used coarse crystal sugar when I had a dish served sprinkled
with Driet.

So if you revise your recipe that the cooking liquid is the blood of the bunny
rather than a broth won from onions you are on the right track.  I have been
working on Rumpolts cook book for a while, feel free to take a peek and let me
know what you think.

Ich Gratuliere

Gwen Catrin von Berlin
http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/Welcome.html