SC - Haversacks and nefts (??)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Feb 15 23:27:43 PST 2001

James Prescott wrote:

> The nefs were also real honest-to-goodness ocean-going ships.  I
> have a reference for that if you need it (since it isn't in the
> OED afaik).

There's also one of the little ones on the table in the January plate in
_Tres Riches Heures_, next to the little dogs. It seems to have dishes
in it, but as the Duke is home, I can't argue that is how he carried his
feast gear about. It would seem to me that someone is trying to make
period custom fit SCAdian form. Kinda backwards, IMHO.

> > As far as SCA usage, I've seldom heard the term outside of this list.
>
> It's common among the populace in this part of An Tir.  I do not
> know how far the usage spreads, though it obviously seems to have
> reached South Africa.  If memory serves (it's been a while since
> I read it) I think he said he suspected the usage was imported into
> this region from northern Midrealm.

I've never heard/seen the usage. But then I'm down in wild and wooly
Summits, the Arkansas of An Tir.

Hey Anne-Marie, what do they say in the Big City?

'Lainie