SC - gnocchi (v long)

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 18 08:18:36 PST 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
<<< . . . SNIP . . . and to cook the amount I needed for the feast would have taken far to long in the kitchen I was using.  On the other hand they were delightful to eat.  Came out as lumpy white things but were incredibly tasteful and went well with my beef rolls (from the same text-just don't have the reference at the moment).  I would certainly cook them at a feast if I had more stove space to have more than one pot of boiling water on the stove and lots of help for cooking these.  It really is useful to have two people per pot. >>>

My suggestion to anyone planing to make these in a modernish kitchen is to get an 18 qt. electric roaster and use that.  You can set it and forget it for the most part.  Determine the temperature to which you desire to poach the little nubs, set the thermostatic knob, and you can theoretocally hold them all day, month, year (theoretically) since the set temperature will never overcook them.  You may end up doing multiple batches, but the timing headache and labor to stand over the simmering/boiling pot to tend them are removed from the equation.  Just remember to go back every 20 or 30 minutes ot check and remove when done.  Then, they reheat the same way.  I plan to utilize this technology soon as I have two of these roasters at my disposal.  Not medieval cooking technology, but not evil either :o)

niccolo difrancesco