Vicente's Marzipan rissoles (was: SC - A&S Entry (long))

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Feb 19 12:28:21 PST 2001

- --============_-1229498363==_ma============

Vicente wrote:

>Marzipan Rissoles
>	Take well ground white almonds; and while grinding them add
>sugar; and for a pound of almonds another pound of sugar; and grind
>it all together and while grinding sprinkle it with rose water, and
>it should be as well milled as possible; and then take very well
>sifted flour, and make a dough with eggs and lard; and a little
>white wine, and make some little cakes; and put the paste in them,
>and set a frying pan with lard, and when it is very hot toss in the
>cakes; and fry them with plenty of space between them and not too
>quickly; and then add honey and sugar and cinnamon on the plate.
(followed by his interpretation)

=46or comparison, consider the following (original is English 14th c.,
followed by our version fron the Miscellany).

=46rytour Blaunched
Curye on Inglysch p. 132 (Form of Cury no. 153)

Take almaundes blaunched, and grynde hem al to doust withouten eny
lycour. Do therto poudour of gyngeuer, sugur, and salt; do thse in a
thynne foile. Close it therinne fast, and frye it in oile; clarifie
hony with wyne, & bake it therwith. [end of original; thorns replaced
by th]

1/2 lb blanched almonds
1/2 t ginger
1 T sugar
scant 1/4 t salt
pastry: 2 c flour, water
oil
2/3 c honey
1/4 c Rhine wine

Grind almonds thoroughly: 1/2 lb =3D 1 1/2 c whole =3D 2 c ground. Stir
together with ginger, sugar and salt. Mix flour with enough water to
make a slightly sticky dough. Roll out dough very thin and cut into
2" squares. Place a heaped teaspoon of ground almond mix on each
dough square. Fold corners to center and seal. Fry in 1/2"-1" of oil
in a frying pan until brown, drain on paper towels, then place in
baking pan. Heat honey and wine together; pour over fritters and bake
at 350=B0 for 10 minutes.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook
- --============_-1229498363==_ma============

 --></style><title>Vicente's Marzipan rissoles (was: SC - A&S
cite><x-tab>        </x-tab>Take
well ground white almonds; and while grinding them add sugar; and for
a pound of almonds another pound of sugar; and grind it all together
and while grinding sprinkle it with rose water, and it should be as
well milled as possible; and then take very well sifted flour, and
make a dough with eggs and lard; and a little white wine, and make
some little cakes; and put the paste in them, and set a frying pan
with lard, and when it is very hot toss in the cakes; and fry them
with plenty of space between them and not too quickly; and then add
honey and sugar and cinnamon on the plate.</blockquote>
c., followed by our version fron the Miscellany).</div>
al to doust withouten eny lycour. Do therto poudour of gyngeuer,
sugur, and salt; do thse in a thynne foile. Close it therinne fast,
and frye it in oile; clarifie hony with wyne, & bake it therwith.
[end of original; thorns replaced by th]</font></div>
1/2 lb blanched almonds<x-tab>
</x-tab><x-tab>
</x-tab></font></div>
</x-tab><x-tab>
</x-tab></font></div>
sugar<x-tab>
</x-tab><x-tab>
</x-tab><x-tab>        </x-tab><br>
scant 1/4 t salt</font></div>
Grind almonds thoroughly: 1/2 lb =3D 1 1/2 c whole =3D 2 c ground. Stir
together with ginger, sugar and salt. Mix flour with enough water to
make a slightly sticky dough. Roll out dough very thin and cut into
2" squares. Place a heaped teaspoon of ground almond mix on each
dough square. Fold corners to center and seal. Fry in
1/2"-1" of oil in a frying pan until brown, drain on paper
towels, then place in baking pan. Heat honey and wine together; pour
over fritters and bake at 350=B0 for 10 minutes.</font></div>