SC - Canned Pumpkin

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Tue Feb 20 22:29:30 PST 2001

>Living in different parts of the world, I find that nobody but USA'ers
>seem to like pumpkin so much!  Some countries contemptuously refer to
>pumpkins as animal fodder and are disgusted that people would eat this!
>Canned pumpkin may well be hard or impossible to find.

Umm,

Canned pumpkin may be hard to find but a lot of people do eat pumpkin.  Brits
have seen it as animal fodder in the past but it's had a resurgence in British
cooking of late.  Australians will eat it roasted (with the roast meat &
potatoes, etc...), mixed with mash potatoes, in scones, and in soup.

In Thailand, I've eaten small pumpkins containing a steamed coconut custard
(sangkaya?).  Very tasty.

Cheers,

Drake.