SC - theme menus

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 20 23:55:46 PST 2001

Vincent Cuenca wrote:
>  > I've been discussing this same topic with Ras on another list; the general
>>  consensus I've been finding among the "experts" (Revel, Scully, Santich, et.
>>  al.) is that there was a lot of recipe trading going on.  Revel identifies
>>  recipes in Taillevent from "Forme of Cury" as well as some German and even
>  > Muslim Sicilian ones.
<SNIP>

OK, spill the fava beans... which ones are "Muslim Sicilian"? I've
been trying to create some kind of Medieval Sicilian feast for awhile
and this would be useful.

Then Lady Brighid ni Chiarain wrote:
>Granado has 55 recipes straight out of Nola, and apparently a *lot*
>taken from Scappi (Italian).

Ooh, ooh, cool. I ordered a copy of de Nola from a Spanish book
vendor on-line and await its delivery - probably not for at least
another month. Then i'll have to get a Spanish dictionary - and may
learn a bit about declining Spanish verbs :-)

More information on Scappi, please.

>I would not have any qualms doing a
>"Meditarranean" (ie. Catalan/Spanish/Italian) feast, because there
>is so much overlap in food styles and ingredients and even specific
>recipes.

I'm hoping to be able to do one of these this year because it seemed
like the recipes i saw in Santich's book "Original Mediterranean
Cookbook" as well as your commentary on those you've posted to the
list indicated that they often related.

Anahita