SC - non-member submission - Help! NA Drinks Question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 22 08:23:57 PST 2001

Jenne Heise wrote:

> > whether it contains any alcohol after boiling). It seems evident that
> > the purpose of the rule as it stands is to prevent any consumption of
> > alcoholic beverages (i.e. "getting sloshed") under less-than-controlled
> > circumstances. In other words, my guess is that you could enter your
> > alcoholic beverage in the B&V division and be within the letter of the
> > rules, and enter your red wine dish in the food entries and be well
> > within at least the spirit of the rules, if not the letter. I suspect,
> > though, that you won't have a problem in any case, once it is made clear
> > that the wine is not being drunk on site outside of the B&V comp
> > division, but rather, cooked and eaten. I'm suggesting this not because
> > I'm interested in promoting gratuitous rule-flouting, but because your
> > dish will thank you for the use of real wine, almost certainly.
>
> On the other hand, it could be like Northern Lights, where the Brewing and
> Vinting entries are _bussed off site_ for tasting (I kid you not). In
> which case, that escape clause does not apply.

Certainly that has been done for Northern Lights, but just as often
there have been Brewing and Vintning judging right on site. It depends
on the site, but I myself have never encountered one which prohibited a
cooked dish, prepared off-site, containing wine. It makes about as much
sense as banning people who drank wine the day before the event.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com