SC - Period food in the workplace

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Feb 27 16:23:45 PST 2001

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> The original of the Santich recipe used a term for which the actual
> vegetable is uncertain. Santich suggested broccoli, which i used. I
> decided to use brussel sprouts, too, which i cut in halves or
> quarters, because my understanding - or perhaps misunderstanding -
> was that they are both late period and this was a late period recipe
> and not knowing exactly what vegetable to use i figured they were
> both about equally close.
>
> It was served at a pot luck dinner at a camping event, and it was
> dark. I think if i'd said i'd made a dish of brussel sprouts no one
> would have eaten it, but i said it was broccoli and no one complained
> and i didn't notice folks digging out the brussel sprouts by candle
> light. And the pot was empty by the end of the meal.

I'm almost certain there's a fairly detailed description of the
different forms of vegetable that you can get from one cabbage plant, in
Le Menagier de Paris, IIRC. As I recall it's a progression  something
like, round headed cabbages first, then a short growing season for
headless leaves, kind of like collard greens, then what amounts to
Brussels sprouts last... I believe Ras has some information about this.
Santich's mysterious vegetable may be cabbage at one of these alternate
stages. Do you recall what term she uses?

There is probably more stuff about cabbage and how it grows in Cato's De
Agri Cultura. I'll look, later tonight.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy