SC - Blackeyed peas

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 2 22:02:50 PST 2001

>In the few times I've cooked dried blackeyed peas, I've noticed that they
>give off a blackish-grey liquid.  They taste fine, but they look terrible.
>Even presoaking them doesn't completely remove that color from the soup.
>Anybody got any ideas?
>
>Vicente

I was curious to see any ideas, but haven't, did you get any privately?   I
expect a reddish broth with kidney or pink beans, a truly ugly purple/black
broth with black beans, a pale yellow broth with garbanzos and the big
yellow lima beans and a black/grey broth with black-eyed peas.  It's just
the way things are and I hadn't thought to be bothered by it.

Bonne