SC - OT: Web copyright -- can Earthlink use my material?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Feb 4 18:14:20 PST 2001

Lady Brighid said:
> I had considered that the webspace was paid, not free.  I am, after
> all, paying a monthly fee for my acount, although I am not paying
> for the extra bells and whistles that corporate customers get.
>
> > 	With the amount of work that you are putting into this project, and the
> > potential for you to publish this at some later date, I would seriously
> > look into getting a more secured web site.
>
> Thank you for the advice.  I do have other options.  It would have
> been simplest to be able to put the material on my personal web
> page, but I am not going to do so under these conditions.
>
> > Christianna

Even if you need to stay with that service for other reasons, I would
strongly consider looking elsewhere for web space. Cariadoc may be
correct in that this is only done for technical reasons, but if this
was the case it should have been written much more narrowly. They may
not try to exploit your work, but the fact that this agreement allows
them to without giving you credit is pretty scary to me.

The Florilegium is hosted on a site run by a friend of mine in Dallas.
He is a sometime SCA participant. The price is low compared to what the
other sites charged. Your work should cause a lot less traffic than the
Florilegium creates and the space is probably less. I suspect he would
be willing to host your site at a reasonable rate. He does not offer
all the bells and whistles that most other web hosting sites offer but
he is gradually adding more. But then you wouldn't get most of those
bells and whistles with a personal website either. His main business is
as a computer programmer and consultant, so the web hosting is a
sideline and not his main source of income.

Feel free to contact me for more details.

As for Earthlink, I would avoid them with such an agreement. If that
is their attitude, I'd also be cautious using them as my ISP. That
agreement appears to be worded very much to their advantage and gives
the feeling that they are not serving the customer but that the
customer is there for them, take it or leave it. I'd leave it. :-)

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net