SC - peaches

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 4 18:26:29 PST 2001

<FontFamily><param>Times New Roman</param>And it came to pass on 4 Feb 01,=
 , that Sue Clemenger wrote:

AN....I'm drooling all the way over here in Montana....recipes

> please?

> --Maire (trying to sound pathetic but not whiney)

</color><FontFamily><param>Times New Roman</param>I was afaid that might h=
appen.  The recipe from Nola is the only one I
have translated.  Since I don't want to be a spoon-tease, here it is.

Source: Rouperto de Nola, _Libro de Guisados_ (Spanish, 1529)

Translation: Lady Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)

POTAJE LLAMADO PERSICATE

Pottage called Peach-Dish

You will take the peeled peaches, and cut them into slices, and cook them
in good fat broth; and when they are cooked, take a few blanched
almonds and grind them; and when they are well-ground, strain them
rather thick with that broth.  And then cook this sauce with sugar and a
little ginger, and when it is cooked, cast in enough pot-broth or that
which falls from the roasting-spit.  And let it stew well for a little; an=
then prepare dishes, and upon each one cast sugar; and in this same way
you can make the sauce of quinces in the same manner; but the quinces
need to be strained with [the] almonds, and they should not be sour, and
likewise the peaches.

footnote: <italic>Durazno</italic> is the Spanish for =93peach=94, but <it=
alic>Persico</italic> (=93Persian=94) is
the word for the peach tree.  The Latin name, <italic>prunus persica</ital=
ic>, means
Persian plum, because the fruit was introduced to Europe from Persia.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
now at a new address: rcmann4 at earthlink.net