SC - fish and game ...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Feb 4 22:03:21 PST 2001

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain said:
> And it came to pass on 2 Feb 01, , that Nisha Martin wrote:
> > My husband teases me that I'd probably know what to do if someone
> > gave me some alligator meat. (its one of the few meats I've never
> > tried, but next time I go to New Orleans, I'll probably try it).
>
> My lord once ordered alligator fajitas at a Mexican restaurant, and
> let me try some.  Tastes a lot like frog, actually.

Yes, I think that is a reasonable description. I've had alligator several
times, once here in Austin at a resturant called the Alligator grill,
once at fair here in town and most recently in a Florida resturant.

Were alligators known in medieval Europe? I believe crocodiles were
known in the Nile River in Egypt. Waverly Root in "Food" has very little
to say about either. He says crocodile tastes like lobster and says
alligator was appreciated by Prince Achille Murat, but dispised by
Natchez Indians. Who was Prince Achille Murat? And when and where did
he live?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net