SC - Why people should use Email instead of posting (was Re: off listwas ...)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Feb 5 08:02:21 PST 2001

Lee Potteiger wrote:

> Being WAY new to this list, I would have to agree that there is a LOT of
> traffic.  That is why I was wondering why there is no digest or web only version
> available.  The digest sends out when there are about 25-30 messages, and you
> get them as one message.  Just a thought.

Actually, there _is_ a digest, and quite a few people subscribe.  The
only difference is the name of the list, as far as subscribing goes; you
send an e-mail to majordomo at ansteorra.org , no subject line and no sig
seems to work best, saying:

unsubscribe sca-cooks
subscribe sca-cooks-digest

.

Or, if, for some reason, you want to be subscribed to both the list and
the digest list, just use the second command only.

> Also being new to this list, but not to other lists, I did not know that if you
> put private in the subject line, it only went to that person.

It doesn't. I was just joshing the people that do that, since we all get
them anyway. One or two of us do it all the time, several others have
done it occasionally, and I'm always mystified by it. It's kind of like
taking out a full-page ad in the biggest newspaper in town, and
including the header, "Please disregard if you're not Oscar Bittlesham."

> I may have taken it in the wrong way but I took it as an attack on Lady Bonne,
> and myself, because don't you know EVERYONE knows.  And when one says everyone,
> one is usually wrong.  Maybe, it would be more constructive if that little
> tidbit is put into the greeting message that is sent when one is accepted onto
> the list.

No, not an attack at all. Possibly a little familiar, but most of
old-timers on the list have displayed similar behavior, and perhaps I
forgot it might not look so good to a newcomer. My apologies to Lady
Bonne, and to you if my words were taken the wrong way. No harm, nor any
rudeness, intended.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy