SC - peaches

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Feb 5 21:22:23 PST 2001

Christianna commented:
> You know, I was thinking that we rarely have sour peaches (in the last
> line where it cautions that the quinces should be strained with the
> almonds, and not be sour, nor the peaches...) and that I would not use as
> much sugar as it seems the recipe calls for.  While it does not mention
> amounts, it does have it cooked at the beginning, in larger quantity than
> the ginger, and then sprinkled again on it after the fact.  I wonder if
> this is to prevent a sour dish from the peaches, or a humoral thing to
> combat the cold and moist nature of the fruit?  Let's see, the roast
> would be treated as a hot and dry, so I would think the nature of the
> peaches would be the compliment to that?

I'm not sure if this has come up in our discussions on humoral theory
before or not. But does this theory take into account the quantities
of each food item? Or just that it exists in some quantity? For instance,
tastewise, you might need only a little of a very tart item to offset
a larger quantity of a sweet item. If you had very sour peaches would
it take fewer of them to balance the hot and dry roast?

> At my very first
> event in 1979, a fellow I know made a campfire stew with either pork
> chops or chicken quarters, and peaches.

Maybe I'm just not remembering, but are there period recipes that
specifically call for pork chops? Or was this not a recognised cut
of meat at that time? And where on the pig do pork chops come from?

- --
THL Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net