SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2959

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Tue Feb 6 20:03:47 PST 2001

In a message dated 2/6/2001 7:06:58 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

<<
 On the subject of name confusion and odd critters, can
 anyone tell me anything about an edible, wild nut-like
 thing called chinky-pins?  No idea of the spelling; my mom
 says she used to eat them ca. the Depression in Arkansas,
 along with a wild grape-ish thing the name of which escapes
 me, but was something similarly odd.  They probably grew in
 the bayous? >>

There is a wild grape in the Southeast called chinquapin.  About the size of
a marble, tough bronze colored skin, skin bitter, grapeseed size seeds, sweet
meat, yellowish clear color.

Mordonna