SC - Query to the list - "Good Huswifes' Handmaide for the kitchen"

Susan Laing gleep001 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 9 16:28:30 PST 2001

Adamantius scribed...

>The Michael Best edition of Markham's "The English Housewife" has a
>similar bibliography entry for "The Good Huswifes' Handmaide For the
>Kitchin", which it lists as being published in London in 1594.

Thanks! - It was the 1594 date that I attached to my version of ""To make a
good tart of cheries" (original of the recipe was supplied by Thomas via
this list) and since it's "Out there in print" in Cockatrice (Lochac A&S
Magazine) I just wanted to ensure I had the facts right. (and not finding a
date of originality in the text in question sort of freaked me ;-)

>Thomas, isn't "The Good Huswifes' Handmaide for the Kitchin" the source
>we discussed that may or may not have lifted passages from the Neue
>Proper Boke of Cokerie?

OOoohhhh Really?? - Sigh! Another one for the list "books Mari needs to
afford" :-)

And thanks for the address details Brigid!  I'll try to contact them and see
if they (or the author) can advise where they found the original manuscript
(possibly too much to hope that it's a part of the British Libary archives
but ya never know!)

Mari