SC - Feast hall lighting (wasRe: under cooked chicken)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Feb 9 21:05:50 PST 2001

Angeline said:
> As far as fully baked chickens.  I remember someone in my group who
> cooks bringing up the chicken not done thing, as well as the info on
> this list about people being able to carve meat.  I have been toying
> with the idea of sending roasted chickens out to tables semi-carved
> just because it would make it easier for them to serve them around
> the table and I would also be able to make sure they were done.

What do you mean by "semi-carved"? Do you mean with pieces partially
cut through? Or some pieces like drumsticks and wings already cut off
and laying in sections?

> I realize semi-carving meat and sending it to the table may not be
> period, but health safety should come before periodness IMHO.

I like this idea. I think it might be a good compromise between not
cutting the chickens up at all and what appears to be the period method
of serving them completely cut up into gobbets(?) or pieces.

Or if there are several chickens for several chickens, perhaps one can
be sent out whole for the theatrics and the others can be served as
slices and pieces. This way the bits and pieces can be easily portioned
out and then the complete chicken can be carved/pulverized/ripped up
for the last servings for those who want more.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net