SC - Translation Challenge #3

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 10 06:42:16 PST 2001

And it came to pass on 9 Feb 01, , that BareToad at aol.com wrote:

> I know I am probably covering the same ground someone else has covered, but I
> thought that I would give this one a shot too.

Please do.

> Para assar la espalda de la vaca en assador
>
> Tomaras los pedazos de la espalda de la vaca no mayores que de
> peso de quatro libras, pondraslos debaxo de algun gran pesso con
> sal molida, hinojo, pimienta machada, y un poco de ajo picado, por
> espacio de quatro horas, luego los pondras en el assador y debaxo
> de una cazuela con un poco de romero, si te pareciere, y unos
> cascos de cebolla, los quales se yran cociendo con la gordura que
> cayere de lo assado.  Servirlo has caliente con las cebollas y su
> zumo, mesclandole un gustillo hecho de vinagre y mosto cocido, y
> especias comunes.
>
> To Roast The Back of A Cow on a Spit
>
> Take pieces of the cow's back

espalda=shoulder

> no greater than four pounds, put them
> underneath some great weight with some ground salt, fennel,
> (machada=pieces...ground pepper?)

I think "crushed pepper" would be closer.

>, and a little (picado=to perforate or
> prick...crushed garlic?)

In this case, "minced".

> for the space of about four hours, after which you
> will put them on a spit and underneath you will place a pan with a little
> rosemary, (parecer=to look like...I am tempted to think that this next phrase
> means "and if you think that it needs it")

Yes.  Nola uses this phrase a lot.  I've usually translated it as "if it
seems [right] to you".

> some (cascos de cebolla=skin of
> onion) which shall cook with the fat that falls from the meat [on the spit].
> Serve it hot with the onions and their juices, mixing it with a (gustillo=a
> touch...maybe what they mean is a light sauce?)

"Gustillo" is the diminuative of "gusto" (taste/flavor).  The RAE
dictionary says it means a taste that is light and not very
noticeable.  So I think your suggestion of "light sauce" would work.

> made of vinegar, cooked
> [wine] must, and common spices.
>
> Forgive me if my translation is a little off.  I was reading some of the
> phrases and I KNEW what they meant, having heard them so many times from my
> mother in Portuguese, but when I had to put them into English, I couldn't
> seem to make the leap.  Sometimes the problem with having been raised with
> another language is that there are some ideas are just too difficult to
> convert...

I have had the same problem, although I was not raised with
Spanish.  Sometimes there *isn't* an English equivalent, so you
have to resort to words in brackets, or keeping the original term
and footnoting it. I now have a huge admiration for translators who
tackle projects like novels, where the exact shade of meaning of a
word can be crucial..

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann