SC - Where's the beef, or, where's the sacrificial lamb?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Feb 11 15:06:04 PST 2001

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain said:
> My first attemp at redacting the roast beef recipe came out fairly
> well.  I had a 1.5 pound beef shoulder roast, about 2 inches thick.  I
> coated it with 2 TBS kosher salt, 2 TBS crushed black pepper, 1
> TBS fennel seeds, and a large minced garlic clove.  I covered the
> meat with plastic wrap, weighed it down with cast iron skillets, and
> left it in the fridge for 4 hours.

Sounds interesting.

> Results: the meat was a touch more cooked than I cared for.  Next
> time I would cook it to medium.  The seasonings were delicious,
> but a bit too intensely spicy, and I found the texture of the whole
> fennel seeds annoying.  Next time, reduce seasonings, and
> possibly used ground fennel instead of whole seeds.  Maybe a
> fattier chuck roast would produce more drippings?
>
> Conclusion: certainly worth trying again.  The flavor combinations
> worked much better than I would have guessed.

So, did compressing/wieghting down the meat make any apparent differance?

I was wondering how much effect whole fennel seeds would have. I think
I might try rough ground or crushed fennel seeds rather than the
powdered/finely ground fennel you seem to be recommending for a future
trial. You might have to grind your own though to get that texture.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net