SC - Where's the beef, or, where's the sacrificial lamb?

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 12 20:28:10 PST 2001

And it came to pass on 12 Feb 01, , that Dana Huffman wrote:

> > "cascos de cebollas" is "skins of onions".  "Cascos" is
> > the same
> > word that is used to describe the husks of crushed
> > grapes.  I
> > haven't seen it applied to onions before.  I can't think
> > it means the
> > papery outer skins, since the onion is served with the
> > sauce.
> > Perhaps the next layer in?
>
> With nothing whatsoever to support the opinion, I would
> probably try to make this be the rounded chunks you would
> get by cutting the onion in halves or quarters, removing
> the more cohesive central portion, and separating the
> remaining layers into vaguely petal-like pieces.  After
> peeling and trimming off the ends, I mean.  It fits the
> context, and they would at least have the sort of hollow,
> rounded shape I associate with the term cascos.

That makes sense.  I checked the RAE.  One of the meanings is
the covering or peel of certain onions, but it also refers to things
like orange sections -- foods broken down into their natural
divisions.  It also means a shard of broken pottery.  I think large
pieces of individual onion layers is what's called for here.

> Offered with the usual disclaimers, of course.

Ditto.  Thank you for the opinion.

> As for the cheese window, all I can say is, don't go saying
> that kind of stuff just as I'm taking a sip of cocoa.  It
> makes for a messy desk.

That was Master Adamantius'... errrr... unique perspective on the
recipe.  Don't blame *me* for your desk.

> Dana/Ximena

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann