SC - Manual de mujeres #119,120,137,141,142,

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Feb 12 20:57:33 PST 2001

rcmann4 at earthlink.net wrote:

> > And depending on the quantity of powder, add grated
> > amber and ground musk; and all together, in a mortar,
> > disturb (?) them with a little scented water.
>
> Ah, yes... my old friend "destemplar".  It has a variety of meanings,
> including "distemper" and "melt".  The overall meaning is to alter
> the consistency or texture of a substance.  In recipes, it usually
> seems to refer to adding liquid to a mixture.  I have usually
> translated it as "blend" or "thin", as appropriate.

IIRC, Scully uses the term "distemper" in dealing with Taillevent (and
it or something like it appears frequently in the Enseignements),
without really addressing its meaning other than providing the context,
which is pretty evident from the original recipes, anyway. For the most
part I would substitute "infuse" or "moisten", but I think perhaps on
occasion there's a mashing action involved as well.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com