SC -need ideas

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 14 18:53:20 PST 2001

> >     I need some ideas/suggestions/ downright
> help!!
> >
> >     I'm cooking a French themed feast  (Love Revel
> in Stan Wyrm) next
> >month,
> >and I'm trying to figure out how to do individual
> mushroom rissoles.  I
> >thought about using phyllo dough,  but I'm having
> difficulties.  *NEVER
> >having worked* with Phyllo,  I'm making a mess.   I
> have been lightly
> >brushing the dough with olive oil,  adding small
> amounts of the 'shroom
> >mixture to about two layers of dough, and making
> "envelopes"  (folding
> >over
> >& closing with egg wash)  very primitive sad
> looking ravioli thingies.
> >Tried feezing them individually on cookie sheets,
> to bake the day of the
> >feast,  but the dough looks very brittle & dried
> out now.   What am I doing
> >wrong?
> >
> >     Or should I use a different dough?
> >
> >     Caointiarn

I think that you should use a different dough.
Probably a noodle dough would be best, as it is easy
to work with, is forgiving and freezes well.

Phyllo dough is not period, is difficult to work with,
and even when baked still can break, flake and look
bad.

However, if you absolutely must use phyllo dough, then
you should use put a damp cloth on top of the sheets
while you are working with the one in front of you.
The best way to put olive oil or butter on phyllo is
not to brush it, as is traditional, but to buy a
mist-er or spritzer that you can buy from a restaurant
supply store, such as Sur la Table, Williams-Sonoma or
Lechter's.  Spraying olive oil onto the phyllo dough
is easier, faster and much more efficient.  Also be
prepared to use all of the phyllo sheets, because they
do not store well once exposed to air.  I have many
dried up sheets of phyllo that I am now using by
crumbling up and sprinking on top of casseroles and
desserts.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.