SC -need ideas

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Feb 14 22:26:00 PST 2001

 Caointiarn said:
>     I'm cooking a French themed feast  (Love Revel in Stan Wyrm) next month,
> and I'm trying to figure out how to do individual  mushroom rissoles.  I
> thought about using phyllo dough,  but I'm having difficulties.  *NEVER
> having worked* with Phyllo,  I'm making a mess.   I have been lightly
> brushing the dough with olive oil,  adding small amounts of the 'shroom
> mixture to about two layers of dough, and making  "envelopes"  (folding over
> & closing with egg wash)  very primitive sad looking ravioli thingies.
> Tried feezing them individually on cookie sheets,  to bake the day of the
> feast,  but the dough looks very brittle & dried out now.   What am I doing
> wrong?
>
>     Or should I use a different dough?

I think I would try a different dough. From earlier discussions here,
I thought the concensus was that phyllo dough, at least in it's modern
incarnation is much, much too thin compared to the period stuff.

I also seem to remember folks using won ton and egg roll wrappers as
already made wrappers for such things as raviolis. I thought rissoles
were very similar but I am a bit confused by the variety of such similar
sounding things mentioned here. I took a look through my pasta-msg and
dumplings-msg files and most of the redactions in these make the dough
from
flour and water and maybe something else rather than from premade dough.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net