SC - Day Boards

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Fri Feb 16 08:38:34 PST 2001

> My Canton is hosting a small event soon.  There is no feast, but we are
> planning a dayboard.  My feast-o-crat gave me his proposed menu, consisting
> of Beef Barley Stew, bread, cheese and honey butter.  My first thought
> was... how boring!  I suggested he add some condiments and fruit, but he
> didn't like that idea because he thought it was too OOP.

Fruit as part of a break-fast, nuncheon or what we would call a 'snack'
isn't OOP. Nor are condiments such as mustard, etc.

> I have two questions:  1) Suggestions for a more interesting, yet easy to do
> dayboard?

You're from the NJ area of the East Kingdom, aren't you? Hartshorn-dale
(Bucks County PA) does some interesting dayboards involving fruit, nuts
and other nuncheon-type foods. Kyle McCue (sp?) did an excellent dayboard
for the Southern Region Arts Exhibition two years ago in Rusted Woodlands.
One of the outstanding features was Savory Toasted Cheese.
We always include fruit and pickles in the dayboards in our area, and
Magdalena vander Brugghe did a nice chicken pie for us at last year's
Johannesnacht-- Magdalena, do you have the recipe?

The menu for the dayboard I did for Athena's Thimble is up at:
http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/jadwiga/A&S/thimble1.html
(It's a very messy word to HTML translation that I haven't gotten around
to fixing yet, but it's there) I don't know how much help it will be.

>and 2) How to tactfully tell the FOC his menu is too bland/common?

Well, there it's hard to do well. Sometimes, what you're actually hearing
is 'I don't feel up to doing more than this.' Sometimes it's 'why should I
bother with more'.