SC - Per head budgets

UlfR parlei-sc at algonet.se
Sun Feb 18 23:54:31 PST 2001

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> My apologies for quoting myself, but...

As long as you don't start refering to yourself in third person
singlular (or even worse: plural).

> Yep. I supposedly have a two-sided barber's strop someplace, which
> nowadays I don't use for cooking knives. Lately I use a cheap whetstone
> for repairs and realignment, a diamond-dust-covered steel for cleaning
> up (I used to have a small folding version of this, like one of those
> butterfly knives, but after breaking the second one I upgraded to a
> larger version), and an ordinary honing steel for finishing. Somewhat
> more expensive, but highly effective, portable, long-lasting, and
> perhaps more likely to inspire confidence in professional settings.

For the kitchen stuff I tend to most often just use the ceramic rod
(looks like a traditional steel, but with the ceramic instead) and the
steel.

> > How can one fail in that? I know people do, but I can't fathom it. I
> > don't know how many times I've cooked in a friends house, and used my
> > swiss army knife since it, as opposed to the knives in the kitchen, is
> > sharp.
>
> Well, being unable to slice an onion was basically a figure of speech,
> but it's as good as many another illustration. A dull knife makes it

Sorry, I did not mean the onion, I meant the knife. I've kept shaving
edges on my knives since I was 10 or so.

> way to lose a fingertip. In fact, if anybody doubts this they can simply
> look at my hands. Luckily I've never lost actual joints, but not for
> lack of trying, and I'm more careful than most people about the
> sharpness of my knives.

If you look carefully at my hands, mostly the left one, you will find a
number of thin white lines. I even remember when some of the 15-20 year
old ones came from!

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
[Nutella...] the enriched, weapons-grade version.
		-- Tanuki