SC - chai recipes

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Tue Feb 20 00:17:49 PST 2001

At 13:43 -0500 2001-02-19, Morgana Abbey wrote:
> So my roommate has developed a great fondness for the coffeehouse
> stand-by:  chai.  (No I don't need a language lesson on how it means
> "tea.")  I know this is a spiecd tea blend.
>
> I'd like to do the compare/contrast/experiment until we find the formula
> that she likes best.  How many of you good (and not so good) people can
> send me one?

Here's the one I use:

Chai (recipe) (this yields three mugs of chai)

4 cups water

Bring to a boil

Add
3/8 tsp ground cinnamon
3/8 tsp ground ginger (add extra ginger to combat a cold or flu)
1/4 tsp ground cardamom (use 'green cardamom' if you can get it)
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/16 tsp black pepper (not too much, or it overwhelms the other spices)

Simmer 3 minutes

Add
3 level tsp Darjeeling tea (or other good black tea)

Simmer 2 minutes

Add
1 1/2 cup milk (whole milk recommended)
3 level tsp sugar