SC - Unusual beverage

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 20 10:44:36 PST 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Another item I found at the oriental groceries was Barley tea. I think
> from previous discussions here there may have been something pretty close
> to this in period Europe. It's only ingredient is roasted barley. I'm
> not as sure that I will like it as the fruitier Jamaica tea but we'll
> see. About the only thing in English (or alphabetic characters at all) is
> the package title, the wieght and a stick-on label with the nutrition
> info. It has lots of Chinese/Japanese? characters. But the picture shows
> a packet being poured into a tea pot. So I guess I'll try that and see
> how it goes.

Oh, Mugi-cha.  You may or may not like it.   Roasted grain beverages go 'way
back;  think of it as period decaf. Here's a set of instructions from a "how to"
site:  http://homepage1.nifty.com/ichi~maco/Cooking08.html

<<Barley tea (Mugi Cha)

Buy the teabags. There are two ways of making the tea. Firstly, you can put a
teabag and 1-2 litre of water in a kettle and boil it for about 10 minutes, then
cool in the refridgerator. Secondly, you can put a teabag and water in a jug,
and cool in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours. Very refreshing, not as bitter as
Oolong tea.>>

Selene