SC - Great Celebration in Atlantia

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Thu Feb 22 11:14:35 PST 2001

> It isn't, of course, Kiri's fault (nor, probably, Olwen's), but this
> pushes one of my buttons. "Tea" as a drink is either very late period
> or out of period for western Europe. "Tea" as the name of a social
> occasion is more than a century out of period; as best I recall the
> term first appears in the 18th century. It is entirely appropriate
> for regency recreation, and wildly inappropriate for the SCA.

The term "Queen's Tea" for an afternoon gathering with food is a spreading
SCAism, of the same genre as 'Chivalry Meeting' (I don't think they had
those in period either!) The Royals would be the ones responsible for
spreading this terminology: perhaps if an alternative period term for an
afternoon gathering with food were suggested, they might be willing to
change over.

Someone was whining at our shire meeting last night that 'dayboards aren't
period'. I know that the period term is 'dinner' but that means something
different to modern people. 'Nuncheon' would be the Regency term. Anyone
have any other suggestions?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Are you finished? If you're finished, you have to put down the spoon."