SC - Turkey

tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de
Thu Feb 22 15:14:11 PST 2001

The 1593 edition of Vincenzo Cervio's 'Il trinciante' (an Italian
carving manual; reprinted 1980) deals among other things with _Gallo
d'India_ (turkey). The book includes a picture and a chapter "come si
trincia vn gallo d'India. Cap. XII." (How to carve a turkey). This
chapter begins with the words:

   "IL gallo d'India è vccello domestico, venuto pochi anni sono in
    Italia. ..."
    (The turkey is a domestic bird, which came/was imported to Italy
     a few years ago ...)

The first edition of Cervio was published somewhat earlier, in 1581, but
I did not see it. Anyway, the passage might serve as additional evidence
how the consumption of turkey spread in the second half of 16th century
Europe.

Thomas
(I put two pictures on my site: gallind2.jpg and gallind3.jpg)