SC - Scottish food or sources

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Feb 22 21:21:52 PST 2001

Duncan Kerr asked:
> First I would like to introduce myself. I'm Lord Duncan Kerr from the
> Barony of Southron Gaard. Cook and escuier de cuisine.

Welcome to the SCA-Cooks list.

> Second and much more important than that I am on a recipe hunt. I am
> starting to plan a feast for my Baron and Baroness. However I am having
> difficultly locating Scottish recipes. So if you could be of help Scottish
> recipes or sources for them I would be most grateful.

You can find many of the recipes discussed and a number of the discussions
from this list in my Florilegium files.

Unfortunately, there are few, if any documentable recipes from period
Scotland. However with varying probabilities of accuracy, you can
come up with some probable Scottish dishes and menus for various times.

You might find these files in the Florilegium of use.
In the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
fd-Scotland-msg   (39K)  9/21/00    Medieval food of Scotland. recipes.

In the FOOD section:
haggis-msg        (79K) 10/ 6/99    Scottish haggis recipes. comments on haggis.

In the FOOD-BREADS section:
brd-mk-flat-msg   (56K)  2/14/01    Period flat or unleavened bread recipes.
  (oatcakes and various similar flat breads)

bagpipes-msg      (21K)  9/ 2/98    Medieval bagpipes. Use in the SCA.
 (uh, no. These often just sound like someone is trying to kill something
for food, at least in the SCA. :-) )
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net