SC - spaetzle

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Wed Feb 21 22:00:08 PST 2001

Stefan,

>>We have discussed spaetzle here on this list several times. Allison,
were you using a recipe/directions from one of those discussions or
something else? If from somewhere else, I'd love to hear more details.
Someday, I'm going to get around to trying to make spaezle. I really
liked it when I had it at a German style resturant.<<

I learned to make spaetzle by hand in Germany.  My son's father-in-law
taught me to make it.  I have recipes, in German cookbooks, and use the
general proportions, sometimes.  WE, however, are spaetzle SNOBS and make
the batter almost entirely with eggs as the liquid, just a little milk
added in.  The more eggs to flour, the more tender the little
dumplings--or 'sparrows'.  Making them on a feast budget, I use more milk
and a little less egg than if doing them for a holiday family occasion.
I think a lot of the contribution in the Florilegium is probably my
posting.  I've taught a class in how to make them at a cooking collegium.
 Maybe I'll do one at the war if folks are interested.  The hands-on
fritter class last year was fun.  I don't do them often enough to be
really professional, and mine aren't as perfect in size relationship as
the professional cooks in Germany, or even Eberhardt's, for that matter.

Hugh's sister-in-law uses a little plastic and metal machine rather than
cutting by hand, but it looks too wormy for me!  I saw a package in the
grocery of dried spaetzle, like any other noodle, but didn't try them.
The document isn't in my cooking docs, probably on a zip disk, but I can
find it if you need it.  Didn't I give a recipe, before?

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com