SC - Great Celebration in Atlantia

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 23 08:25:30 PST 2001

>It isn't, of course, Kiri's fault (nor, probably, Olwen's), but this
>pushes one of my buttons. "Tea" as a drink is either very late period
>or out of period for western Europe. "Tea" as the name of a social
>occasion is more than a century out of period; as best I recall the
>term first appears in the 18th century. It is entirely appropriate
>for regency recreation, and wildly inappropriate for the SCA.
>--
>David/Cariadoc
>http://www.daviddfriedman.com/

Our Cook's Guild didn't make up the name.  Your point is well taken and I
shall pass it along.  I don't know what other places call the Queens
"social".

My understanding is that in the past when a Queen asked someone or some
group to do a Queen's Tea here in Atlantia, that is pretty much what they
got.  Some tea and other beverages and some cookies or something light.
Having never been to one myself, I cann't say for positive.

Here in Bright Hills, our Guild never manages to do anything small (or
light).  When we were asked to do the Tea for the Queen at Crown Tourney we
managed to weigh down four folding tables with food and had to scrounge up a
table for the beveages.  This time, I believe, we were asked to do the
Queens "Brunch", I suppose because they figured out that we probably
wouldn't (or couldn't) do anything less.  I'm sure "brunch" is not a period
word, but oh well, how can you argue with the Queen?
Olwen