SC - Re: Egg Yolks

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Feb 23 09:29:16 PST 2001

Barbara Sall wrote:

> I read the e-mail about freezing egg yolks and a question comes to my mind.
> Since we can freeze egg yolks and defrost them, is it possible to freeze egg
> whites?  I know there are several recipes that call for a lot of egg yolks,
> but no egg whites.
> Kirsten of Blak Rose

Hmmmm. Most soufflees call for egg whites, and many don't call for yolks
at all. Angel food cake uses whites only. Meringues. Clearmeat for
consomme.

Period dishes calling for egg whites only would include sambuccade and
various other white torta-type dishes, several sauces (creme bastarde,
for example?) as well as various medieval industrial processes.

Yes, they freeze well, if anything, better than yolks.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com