SC - Re: Egg Yolks

Cheriti Watts cassea at teleport.com
Tue Feb 27 18:15:46 PST 2001

I agree.  The seasoning does do something to the eggs.
Somewhere in my perusing of cookbooks and magazines, I found the bit of info
saying that you shouldn't add salt to eggs until after they are cooked
otherwise it makes them hard (or rubbery, can't remember which).

I haven't done the experiment yet to see what the textural difference is
between a fried egg that was salted before frying and the fried egg that
wasn't seasoned. So, I'm not sure if it is the white that is affected or the
yolk.

Cassea

Etain1263 at aol.com wrote:

> << LYN M PARKINSON <allilyn at juno.com> writes:
..and decide what you are going to use them for..and add a bit of salt for
savory uses..and sugar for cookies, etc.  Perhaps the seasoning does
something other than season????

Adding either sugar or salt will essentially change the specific gravity
or the density of the eggs, which may affect the rate at which they
freeze. Sugar may have something to do with tenderizing protein chains,
I dunno. Whether or not this really has any effect on the thickening
that takes place when they freeze, I don't know. Somewhere in my kitchen
I have a box of salted duck eggs whose whites seem more or less like raw
egg whites, and whose yolks are a fairly firm sort of golden jelly
consistency. They still have to be cooked, and still firm up like raw
eggs do, when cooked.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy