SC - list newbie/Seasonal food.

KarenO kareno at lewistown.net
Wed Feb 28 06:45:25 PST 2001

> > Does anyone know any good sources for period Lenten restrictions and
> > recipes? (And no, I haven't looked on the Florilegium yet.)
> There are several reasons why you don't see much in the way of Lenten
> meals at events. And I am about to make some gross generalizations here,
> so don't everyone jump on me.
>
> 1. We are just too damn lazy.
> 2. Something in our stout lil' hearts ('specially us Americans) jumps up
and shouts at the idea of restrictions. Recite a list of Lenten restrictions
and most of us will reach for the prime rib. Just a rebellious nature, I
suppose.
> 3. Many SCA cooks don't know where to begin and don't want to put the time
and effort into doing the Lenten fare (yeah, yeah, most of present compnay
excepted).
> 4. Many of our audiences (feastgoers) wouldn't know a Lenten meal if it
bit them in the butt. Which it couldn't, not being animal products, but...
> 5. Say Lent, and most people think fish. Many cooks don't know how to cook
fish well, and most Americans think they don't like fish (probably because
they haven't had it cooked well). Adds up to a resistant populace.
> 'Lainie

    Another reason overlooked,  is Lent is the season for Pentinence (sp?)
to survey our sins & make amends  -- so a joyful event such as a "feast"  is
not within the nature of these next forty days before Easter.   Tho,  my
docs for this has been misplaced :(    On observed feast days, such as
Sundays, ,  the congregation was to be celebrating,  and keeping the lenten
fast was just as much a sin as not fasting on the appropriate days.

    From what I remember

    Caointiarn