SC - noodles with sugar

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 1 21:11:54 PST 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> The cheese I've seen packed in pots that I was thinking of were various
> types of cheddar cheese or port wine cheese, which I guess is a cheddar.
> These are in a pottery pot about 4 inches in diameter and 4 tall or
> maybe a little smaller. That doesn't sound much like cottage cheese.

Thass because it's not ;  ) . Pot cheese used to be stored in an
unglazed (or perhaps glazed on one side only, for porosity and
evaporation type cooling, probably) pottery container. Now it seems to
be sold in plastic tubs like cottage cheese. As Devra mentioned, pot
cheese is a _very_ fresh curd cheese; most cultures that make cheese
have this under one name or another. The main difference between cottage
cheese and pot cheese is that cottage cheese is sort of mashed up with a
bit of cream, giving a somewhat more homogeneous texture than pot cheese.

> So you're saying a young cheese rather than an aged one such as cheddar?

Yep, young as in, maybe twelve hours to two days old...

> What's "crowdie"?

Crowdie is the Scots version of this drained-curd, fresh cheese. When
really fresh, and when the curds are still soft, it's good spread on
oatcakes or scones.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy