SC - alcohol revisited

Fri Feb 2 14:19:58 PST 2001

> I guess that what I am trying to say (or type) is that
> these people have SOMEHOW managed to avoid these
> certain foods WITHOUT all of the additional
> precautions we seem to demand from an SCA cook, so why
> does it now become imperative that they be informed
> much more than they would be at a local restaurant?

At the local restaurant, you ask the waiter, who, if the are smart and don't
know the answer, asks the cook.  Same with the servers on a line.  This
avoids the bad publicity of people dying from your cooking and the ensuing
lawsuits.  Since SCA servers usually don't know what went into the food, and
ingredient list provides the necessary knowledge.

I posted a complete ingredient list at the Protectorate Feast and it seemed
to be the most widely studied document at the sign in.

> They can obviously look out for themselves, or they
> wouldn't be at the table anyway.  And if they can't,
> then eternal shame upon them.
>
> Balthazar of Blackmoor

Despite having the ingredient list, I had two questions raised.  The first
was "What has mushrooms in it?"  The answer was none, but the person was
concerned because mushrooms are used in various pre-packaged stocks.  I was
able to point out that everything was being made fresh.  That person went
away happy.

The second question was "Was the yeast in the bread produced on potato
starch?"  I couldn't answer the question because I purchase yeast in bulk
without information about the manufacturer or the manufacturing process.
That individual decided not to eat the bread.

These people did look out for themselves and I am certain that without the
ingredient list, I would have been fielding a number of other questions.

Bear