SC - alcohol revisited

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 2 21:41:28 PST 2001

>To echo what I believe is Balthazar's point, why is the onus on the cook
>rather than on the feaster? Why is it not the feaster's duty to not eat
>feast if he/she has a food allergy? Why does the cook have to go out of
>his/her way?

I did not interpret Balthazar's comments to mean he didn't think the cook
should not have to post ingredients, but that the cook should not have
change recipes in order to make a feast recipe 'safe' for one person with
special needs.  The cook should stick to their own plan, and the onus is on
the guests to take care of themselves per the information given them.

Without at least the favor of a list, the only decision anyone with food
problems can possibly make is to not eat feast.  I don't know about you, but
the people in the hall are my friends and I want them to stay with our other
friends and enjoy a meal together.  And then clean the kitchen for me!

These days, I don't think posting ingredients is so far out of the way for
the cook to go.  The list doesn't have to be pretty, just legible.

- -The simplest method is to photocopy your recipes and physically cut and
paste the ingredient lists onto posterboard.

- -Or, you or some designee with clear handwriting can write out the
ingredient lists on a set of pages or a piece of posterboard.  For those so
blessed, this is a task meant for apprentices, proteges, or your own
children if old enough.

- -If you have your recipes on the computer, you can easily cut and paste the
ingredient lists from each recipe into a single document and format it as
nicely as you care to.

- -MUCH higher on the scale is the recipe booklet giving the original recipe
and version in use for the feast, history, etc. etc.

Bonne