SC - OT: Web copyright -- can Earthlink use my material?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sat Feb 3 19:02:18 PST 2001

My technogeek roommate just had me reading a long thread on the subject
of Juno's new "agreements" (they are not what I agreed to, they just
updated their website to reflect new rules), and the fact that they have
access to my computer at all times; I am required to leave my machine on
24/7, so that their system can utilize my computer while it is not in
use; the same stuff about rights to my materials that go through their
central computers; etc.  He just read your note and said that yes, that
is what this agreement means.  He said the way for you to protect your
material is to pay for a domain name, and then pay for a hosting service
(could be Earthlink, or someone else) to host your domain and then you
have control over the materials on your site.  Anything you put on the
free webspace they give you with your service is ultimately their
property, though.  The thread I read on Juno had the various opinions
that this was Juno's and other free web company's last grasp at staying
in business, I personally don't think that the 'agreements' will stand up
to a class action law suit in court, but then, they would probably fold
before they would let it get that far.   I have promised to give up my
Juno account when we set  up a server in the house to provide a firewall
and security, and allow us to run multiple computers off of either a DSL
line or glass cable lines.  Until then, I'll turn off my computer when
I'm not on it, thank you very much, and the only critical material on my
computer is my tax returns, which are not worth the time and trouble, I
guarantee!
	With the amount of work that you are putting into this project, and the
potential for you to publish this at some later date, I would seriously
look into getting a more secured web site.
Christianna

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001 21:26:36 -0500 rcmann4 at earthlink.net writes:
> We had to change ISPs recently, and on a friend's recommendation,
> chose
> Earthlink.  So far, I have no complaints.
>
> As you gentles know, I am planning to web my translation when the
> polishing is done.  I wanted to put it on my own website, having had
> a bad
> experience with a freebie Yahoo/Geocities account.  I just took a
> look at
> the Earthlink web-construction page.  The legal fine print includes
> this
> paragraph:
>
> "Your posting of material on the Web site or providing material to
> EarthLink to use on the Web site will be deemed to be a grant by you
> EarthLink of a license to the material to include the material on
> the Web
> site and to reproduce, publish, distribute, perform, display, and
> transmit
> the material and to prepare derivative works as may be reasonably
> necessary to do so, and you waive all rights of attribution and
> integrity
> with respect to the material ."
> Does this mean that they could, say, publish a recipe booklet and
> leave
> my name off it?  Or that they could legally object to my publishing
> it
> elsewhere?
> I knew a lot of the free website communities were doing this kind of
>
> thing.   I assumed that a website that came with a paid Internet
> account
> would be different, and that the material on it would remain under
> my
> control and ownership.
>
> Should I be concerned?
>

> Lady Brighid ni Chiarain