SC - Brawn Question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Feb 3 21:32:25 PST 2001

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Pope Pius IX, who had the longest pontificate (1846-78) in Catholic
> history, summoned the First Vatican Council (1869-70), which endorsed
> papal infallibility, no doubt at his behest. Before that, Papal
> infallibility was not a sure thing, although, of course, Vatican I
> justified it with doctrine, and passages of Scripture. So it doesn't
> have such an old history and perhaps it can be overturned :-) It
> certainly didn't exist in Adamantius's day - although it may have
> been debated once in a while.

Kew-el! I think the concept of papal infallibility (which, even now, is
not considered applicable to all decisions, merely interpretations of
doctrine, as if that isn't enough to frighten one) is actually
misinterpreted. I don't think anybody ever suggested that the Pope would
or could never make a mistake in matters of doctrine, rather that the
Church, and presumably God, would back the Pope no matter how silly some
papal edicts have sounded over the years. I think my favorite piece of
logic was to the effect, "Women cannot be priests because Christ was a man."

And on that note...

Gosh, look at how OT this has become ;  )

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com