off list was Re: SC - Brawn Question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Feb 4 20:39:04 PST 2001

Lee Potteiger wrote:

> No, not EVERYONE.  I had not heard of this before......
>
> Tym
>
> Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
> >
> > Everybody knows you're supposed to add the word "PRIVATE" to the header
> > of anything you wish to send to a single person via a public listserv
> > with hundreds of members, to prevent everybody reading it ;  ) ...
> >
> > Adamantius

Sorry, I neglected to add the word "SARCASM" to the subject line <g> .
See, I've been on this list a long time; there are probably five or six
people currently subscribed who've been around as long as I have, and
for that entire period of time, I've always been perplexed at the
bizarre tribal custom of sending private mail to a single person via a
listserv to which hundreds are subscribed, but either aren't supposed to
read, or are supposed to pretend it used no bandwidth, rather than
simply inserting the real e-mail addy of the person you're addressing,
so it really will have some pretense of privacy. I think some people do
it now because it's happened so often that it no longer seems odd.
Unless perhaps this is a subset of the rules of netiquette, or a new
definition of "private", that I'm unaware of.

No harm done, I think; it just seems rather peculiar to me. I suspect
Lady Bonne simply hit the "send" button before remembering to change the
address, but I thought it was ironic that a post headed "off-list" was
sent via the list. No biggie.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy