SC -veal longings

KarenO kareno at lewistown.net
Sun Feb 4 20:17:42 PST 2001

    THL Stephan queired:
> Huh? Veal is young cow, right? And there are lots of cows raised in
Montana, right? Is this just a cultural thing perhaps? Or maybe an economic
thing where you can make more money shipping the veal animals off to another
region to be grown into a full-sized cow? I'm using
> "cow" here to mean either a female or male calf.<

    I'm  *surrounded*  by cattle ranches,  so the abundance for meat is
here  -- and I do have some contacts with  ranchers if I want to buy  "on
the hoof."   I have even asked about how long til the young critters are
weaned.   It's an economic thing really,  the majority of males are
castrated,  and all the critters are grown for beef/ breeding.

    Now my Roomie is horning in  ;>  saying there ain't no such thing as
"free range" veal.  My defination for veal  is  a calf slaughtered for meat
prior to age of weaning.   Or am I just being too PC?

    Caointiarn