SC - spelling please

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 5 08:16:25 PST 2001

- --- Audrey Bergeron-Morin <audreybmorin at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> --- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> > Audrey wrote:
> > >Actually...
> > >Hors-d'oeuvre is the right spelling (dictionary
> > says
> > >so... French is my first language, by the way)
> > >And plural is hors-d'oeuvre also
> > >*Without* a final 's' (same form singular and
> > plural)
> > >And with a '-' between both words.
> >
> > I have no doubt you are correct. But in American
> > English the plural
> > includes an "s". You can eat one hors-d'oeuvre off
> > of a plate of
> > hors-d'oeuvres. In America, we kinda pronounce on
> as
> > "or derv" and a
> > plateful as "or dervs".
> >
> > Anahita,
> > cringing slightly at how she just butchered some
> > lovely French.
> >

> You know what? You're right. My English dictionary
> tells me that it takes a 's' in English in plural
> form. Go figure. :-))

Actually, the English bastardization of the word
should have no bearing... it is a French word, for
which there is no plural difference.  When you speak
the word, whether you are in France or the U.S., you
are speaking a French word, and it's context should be
respected. It is a food item served outside the menu
proper...whether it is one or one hundred.  If you eat
two, you are not eating two hors doeuvres, you are
eating two hors doeuvre.  The U.S. has butchered the
English language enough...let's not put any more under
the knife as well...

Balthazar of Blackmoor