SC - OT: Web copyright/Juno

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Tue Feb 6 10:36:14 PST 2001

    Excuse me? They want to unlimited access to your machine? I don't know
what's more annoying, the notion that you're supposed to leave your system
wide open for them (or anyone else wandering by) to examine at their
leisure, or that they're planning to make money off of your CPU capacity, or
that anything they convey through their system becomes their property. Any
way you look at it, having a free ISP doesn't sound all that free to me!
    Be hilarious the day you get sued for copyright infringement on
something you originally wrote. The really scary thing is that if you think
about it, you've just become a workstation in the network from hell - be the
first on your block to have a cubicle in your box!
    Go to www.GRC.com and download the Zonealert firewall. It's free, and it
WORKS. I also recommend you review your system security at that time (it'll
take a couple of hours). If you go ahead and follow their advice, you will
be very heavily protected from the vast majority of cyberthreats.
    Get a real ISP account - high speed connections are coming way down in
cost, and when you think about the lost moments waiting for the download bar
to make it all the way across, it really isn't all THAT expensive. I wrote a
routine one time that measured the interval between the time I initiated a
download and the time it received the EOF (end of file) tag, and accumulated
it. I was staggered to discover that during a week, I had spent over 7 hours
waiting for files to finish downloading!! So, how much is your time worth .
. .?

    Sieggy