SC - Feast Basket Tools

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Feb 7 00:21:16 PST 2001

No, the cloved fruit (not cloven, it doesn't have hooves) game is
definitely NOT period. There is a message from Honour, one of the
co-inventors of the game in the file in the Florilegium, explaining
the origins of the game and giving a general appology for creating
it.

Nevertheless, it can be a fun game if played with courtesy and compassion.
I think pulling out one of the cloves, yelling "Incoming!" and throwing
the fruit as far as you can, as is done in the barony to the south of
me,
is extremely rude to those who wish to play the game.

More details in this file in the ENTERTAINMENT section:
cloved-fruit-msg  (13K)  9/29/99    Period cloved fruit. Origin of the
SCA game.

> No, cloven fruit is a sort of kissing game to make time pass with a bit
> of light flirtation. IIRC there is an article on it in the florethingy.
> You stick cloves into a citrus fruit of opportunity and hand it to a
> person of the opposite sex, and they take a clove out either with the
> teeth or by fingers, and you get to kiss either their hand or cheek or
> lips. Not particularly period, and infrequently done now but lots of fun
> in a batch of old-timers.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net