SC - bayous in ARKANSAS? OT

Robbin Long rlong at srrc.ars.usda.gov
Wed Feb 7 14:14:59 PST 2001

A bayou is just any offshoot of a river or lake - usually a stagnant or sluggish stream, occasionally on the way to becoming an oxbow.

I know we had them in Pine Bluff, AR, where I lived for seven years in Southeast AR.  The city called itself the Gateway to the Delta.  We lived just a few blocks off of Bayou Bartholomew which ran all the way to Bastrop, LA.  Bayou Meto in Stuttgart (a very sufficiently swampy area, and not just in the rice paddies) is known for great duck hunting.

Where did you grow up?  If you grew up in the northern or northwestern part of the state (Little Rock or northward), you probably wouldn't have seen any.  That is the Ozark hills region, and is a very different terrain.

I now live in New Orleans, and the bayous don't look much different as far as I can tell.

Broinnfhionn
(a New York girl who just can seem to get away from the bayous)

Robbin L. Long, Plant Physiologist
USDA-ARS, SRRC
1100 Robert E. Lee Blvd.
New Orleans, LA  70124