SC - Asparagus smell

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Wed Feb 7 14:34:20 PST 2001

>I'm sure I have this information somewhere, but the bottom line is that
>everybody's urine has this chemical in it after eating asparagus, but
>not everyone has the gene that enables them to smell it. You, like me,
>are what Harold McGee has referred to, in the section of "On Food and
>Cooking" that deals with this, a stinker. ;  )

Ooo! Adamantius just called me a stinker... What a fink!  You ain't smelled
nothing until you've smelt me after eating the boiled garlic recipe in Pleyn
Delite (the original source eludes my memmory, and I'm at work so I cant look
it up).  The wife has threatened to banish me from the bedroom.

Thanks though.  I find the gene concept unusual.  I cooked a dinner for 8 which
featured Asparagus heavily and we all commented on the smell the next morning.
Must be all that Canberra 'interbreeding'...

Drakey.

ps. Did you manage to look at that Yuan Feast Plan yet, Addy?